Friday, June 20, 2008

KIDS??? U GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!


Yep! I am now cent percent convinced that the dictionary meaning of KIDS has to be
rechecked, rethought of and put down again. Weren’t kids supposed to those puny, cute lil creations of God, who were supposed to be the epitome of innocence, as fresh as the early morning dew drops??? (okay, I had actually used these lines for a creative writing competition some 5 years back :P ) But, the point to be noted is, I had written these lines 5 years back. Now, the scenario has changed so substantially, yet so gradually, that unless, currently jobless people like me, sit down and ponder over this stuff, such facts of great importance (towards the ego and self esteem of those no-longer-under-the-category-of-children, like me) are completely lost into oblivion!

Now, before I write anything more on this topic, lemme tell all you blog readers, that I have 4 lil (lil???) cousins at home and a younger brother. So, whatever I say here is based on careful analysis and observation over the past few years (i.e. since I developed this weird new hobby and time pass called “thinking”:P)

See, I have absolutely nothing against these kiddos, and I don’t know if I am letting my oh-so-famous-capricornian-conservatism come in the way of how I perceive things. But whatever it is, over the past few years, I have received several “shocks” from them and their friends, to make me a stanch believer of the fact that “ I was never like this when I was this small “ :P

For example, the so-called “kids” today, know more about soaps and serials than most people of my age, and the accuracy with which they predict what may happen next is actually amazing. They talk bout the characters as if they are nothing more than their classmates, with whom they spend their entire day! I don’t remember seeing anything other than Disney channel and probably a few music channels, at their age :P Infact, thankz to my hostel life, I have become SO bollywood-handicapped, that my limited knowledge on the movies to be released , and the current bollywood gossip, makes me feel lost in front of them :P

Also, I never really vied for a jacket like the one worn by SRK in Krazzy4, or for a bikini like the one worn by Bipasha in dhoom 2, at the age of 5!

I guess I wouldn’t have been able to perform the “ek chutki sindoor” dialogue from OSO with as much aplomb as these “kids” do. They will surely give Deepika a run for her money!

These “kids” not only know how to distinguish between a Honda city, a Honda CXV and an Innova , but are also fully capable of driving the driver mad if their favorite FM station has not been tuned into.

They are not only crystal clear about what they want, but also know hundred and one ways of making them happen. Tell them no for something and then u will see! Poor lil innocent sisters like me are always tricked into playing UNO, snakes and ladders or ludo and end up losing in the end, cause unless they win, the game HAS to continue. And if you r a very soft hearted person and tend to believe whatever they say (as it use to be with me initially), then its their lucky day. They will surely take you for a nice ride! I have learnt long ago, not to be fooled by their wannabe-innocent faces (though the hard way). Huh! *disgusted look*.

Another lesson that THEY have taught me is that never try and teach them anything. There are very high chances of you urself forgetting all that you had learnt. Either this, or they will argue and disagree with you till the point you get SO terribly saturated that you are ready to tear off your hair and agree to take tuitions from them the next day (on how to irritate people:P)

Today only, I was caught in between a crossfire going on between my two lil cousins (6 yr olds) who sat on the breakfast table with me and were having a discussion bout barista and ccd (yep! u heard me right).

And this particular incident took the cake! It had been just a few days since I had returned from college, and was sitting on my laptop, orkutting, when my 6 year old cousin comes up to me and sweetly asks me “Abhu didi, apke kitne boyfriends hain???”

Believe me! I almost fell off my chair!

Iam not telling that all kids these days, are like this. (I sure hope I don’t sound like a granny giving gyaan), but its just that these lil ones never fail to amaze me! Sure, the exposure these days is much more from the time when I was probably 5-6 years old, but its really amazing and actually fun to spend time with these lil ones. All I do is smile and keep listening to them. And the bestest part is that, whatever they say, they say it so cutely and with such innocence, that although there is nothing innocent about what they have to say, you still end up smiling.

16 comments:

Debasish Patra said...

Yeah..yeah.. u totally sound lik a Granny.
But.. it was FUN.. readin it :D

I s'pose.. ur own KIDS will b subjected to a lot of observation.. from Mommy !
No offence :)

The New Age Superhero said...

oh c'mon... just accept the fact that they are way smarter than u :P

and you do sound like a granny giving gyan :P

hehe... kids are great :)

Abhu said...

@ debasish- :I verrry funny!

@suk- oh puhleez!!! its just that i no longer throw tantrums or behave like them period!!!

broca's area said...

hmm....good read:)....!!!...yeah even my cousin[5th std] is like that..but its irritating some times!!!!!!

Abhu said...

@brocasarea- hehehee!! ive become immune to their antics now :) lets say, ive become smarter handling them :P

Madi said...

he he.. nice post.. you do sound like u have plenty of experience with kids.. make sure u mention that in ur resume when you go groom searching ;)

Abhu said...

@madi- :I sure!

Cяystal said...

Oh my.
Gran out there.! Hehe.kiddin'

I know..kids are too modern n you know..hi-fi these days that,it actually shakes us.*phew*
but somehow..what I feel is..children now have become like grandmas..and less like what children USED to be.
their innocence..seems lost to me!

Anyway..nice one! :)
Do visit my online abode soon

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kid,
Interesting read!
I am amazed by your capricornian way of thinking. Keep it up, its nice - simple, smooth flowing....

Punvati said...

I can actually relate.. recently I overheard 2 cute lil 9 year olds talking.. their conversation was actually- "Omigod.. I was like so late for the party cos I like could not decide what to wear! I was so confused!"

I still dont talk like that and Im almost 20....

:| what is the world coming to....

Abhu said...

@ aayushi- I SO agree with u. i am really stumped by most of their antics, these days :)


@ uncle (anony): Thank u very much. but i wish u had left your name aswell.

@divya- lol! i go thru it each day! haha!

Anonymous said...

yeaa u actuallyy sounded lyk a granny hehee....kids r noo more d KIDS which v ppl presumed dem to be lyk:P:P

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hello ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been digging for that singular brand. The prices seeking the shoes are around 210 pounds on every site. But completely I found this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what can you tell me about these?