Sunday, June 29, 2008

Hostel & weight loss...... naaah!


As a child, I had heard from practically EVERYONE (I wud have used a larger font size but this is the max size that will look decent on this post :P) that hostel life is synonymous with oodles and oodles of weight loss. I had been conditioned to think that one is meant to starve and live in such atrocious living conditions in a hostel, that one inevitable ends up losing a lot of weight. Hence, when my turn came, I was fully prepared for the worse and was kinda happy that I will be finally doing something I long wanted to, without much effort. *sly grin*. Infact, one of the prime reasons I was adamant to experience the life of a hostler was that, I would get a chance to test myself and see if I am actually up to all that I think I am. You know, many times people have these preconceived notions about what they can do and stuff and how they will handle themselves in a particular situation ?? Well, it wont be wrong to say that I wanted to test myself, and see whether I was at par with the standards I had set for myself, or had been living in a fantasy world all through. (okay, I know I sound too capricorn-ish :P )

*giggles* you know, I actually use to imagine myself coming back from college, and surprising people with my all-new avatar and all that.

BUT!!! No sooner did I land in a land called MANIPAL, all such dreams were shattered into million pieces. I was forced to rethink my definition of “a hostel life”. Life there was SO chilled out, and the food was SO amazing that soon I realized nothing was gonna be the way I though it would be :D

So basically, this was just meant to tell all my blog readers, please, do not think staying in a hostel makes you loose weight, and next time u see a hostel-returned student, who has not managed to lose weight please do not subject him/her to torturous comments like “Now atleast you should have lost weight!! What are you doing there???” and the likes. Similarly, if you see a hostler who has managed to shed a few pounds, then kindly do not shrug it off with clichéd lines like “it had to happens, now that he/she stays in a hostel ”, rather, kindly acknowledge the fact that the poor student has had to go through tremendous mental torture, and it has taken a considerable amount of self-control on the part of the student to ignore all those yum brownies and sundaes and pastas in order to lose those few kilos and hence, the poor victim of such ruthless torture should be endowed with generous praises, rather than those snide remarks.



(p.s. kindly pardon me for giving this post such a ridiculous title. But trust me, my creativity is on a holiday. i could think on nothn better than this :P)

6 comments:

Debasish Patra said...

Hey... I relly feel so UNQUALIFIED to comment on this.. coz

1. I hav NEVER thot bout weight- loss till now.(thank-God)
2. I hav nvr been in a Hostel till now.

But, I guess u hav been fortunate enuff in both d cases :)
Yeah.. but I got an ideas of things.. !

Anonymous said...

i here by vow 2 read all ur blogs which i cudnt read coz i was in d "no-surfing" zone 4 a mth:)well nxt tym i'l surely keep in mind hehhe:D nd gud u cleared one of my 'pre-conceived' notion:P

Unknown said...

sigh.
Hostel or no-hostel, one cant help eatin ya?
sigh.

Abhu said...

@debasish- oh yeah... true... its k... u dont need to comment on each one :)

@tina- yeah u better!!!!

@tejal- i swear!!! :P

The New Age Superhero said...

i lost weight staying at home... i was healthy sometime back :S

Abhu said...

@ suk- :O and how did u manage that?? u r one weird leo man! i can never get u!