Saturday, August 23, 2008

“The girl who got stuck in the lift”

My 3rd sem here, has suddenly become SO eventful, that I simply cant believe that a few weeks back (i.e a few days after I returned to manipal) I was all set to pack my bags, and run (or rather fly :P) back home. Agreed that the initial couple of days in each semester are quite slow and it takes time to get into the mould of things, but I really did not know that things would transform so soon. It is not possible to elaborate on everything but I have to tell you guys about the latest episode in my life.

I got stuck in the lift in my hostel !!!

Yes people! I finally got stuck in my hostel lift *100 Mwatt smile :D*. Before you start giving me is-she-crazy-or-what kinda looks, lemme clarify the reason of my delight. The two lifts in my hostel have always been popular for getting stuck and we have, very often, heard girls scream and bang the lift door, calling for help. Each time, I saw something like this happen to someone, after the initial feeling of sympathy washed over my being, I would inevitably find myself wondering how it felt like, to be in a situation like this. And Boy! Law of attraction does work! Yesterday, when I was least expecting it, the lift gave a sudden jerk and stopped a lil above the 4th floor. I was all alone in the lift. After a few nanoseconds of panicking, a finally realized that my dream had come true! It was time to see how I handled such a situation :D

I got to work. I tried all the buttons on the life panel. None seemed to function. Next I banged on the lift door. Since the lift had been elevated just a foot above the 4th floor, I was hoping someone passing by would hear me. After 5 minutes, I finally decided to pry open the inner door and I succeeded. I could see outside, through a small crack between the outer sliding doors. I continued banging and soon a couple of freshies, who realized what had happened, stood outside.

Freshie 1- Please don’t panic.

Me- No! No! I am not panicking. Just go and tell the matron about it.

(They try to open the outside door, but in vain.)

Freshie 2- (to freshie 1)- Is she alone??

Me- (overhearing the convo) Yes iam alone. Now will u please go and call the matron?

I dunno if one of them went to call the matron, but soon they started their chitter-chatter again. Now, I was getting a little restless coz I had to study for my COA exam the next day, and I had wasted enough time already.

Me- (in a bored and slightly irritated way): listen. Will you please go and tell the matron bout the lift?

Freshie 3 (who had just joined the group and was being enlightened with the reason for such a commotion)(in a very very sweet and sympathetic, almost childish way) - Please don’t cry, we are all here.

Me: (I cudnt control laughing:P) : No dear, iam not crying. Its fine. Just get the lift started.

I assumed that the few seconds of silence that followed my response, had something o do with freshies finding it to be quite unexpected ;) But what the hell??? Was i supposed to cry in there or what?? :O

After another another 5-7 minutes of boredom (yes, being stuck in the lift alone, can be very boring :I), during which I tried to inspect the gear-kinda things that were attached on the inner side of the outer door, the lift finally started working and I got down on the 5th floor. I came down to thank all the freshies who had provided me with a decent amount of entertainment while I was stuck in the lift, and I became popular as the “girl who got stuck in the lift” :P, with all of them asking each other- “oh! She got stuck?”, “Was it her??” and the likes. On the whole, it was a different experience: D

p.s. my mom definitely disagrees with me on this one. She was positively freaked out when I narrated the incident to her, which had less to do with the fact that I got stuck, and more to do with my enjoying the experience.;) But the only thing she’s glad of, is the fact that I have been er.... kind of avoiding using the lift the whole day today and have hence been, exercising my leg muscles quite a bit :P

11 comments:

The New Age Superhero said...

wow! weren't the freshers just enjoying ur misery :P
everyone kicks your ass no? awww.. but don't u enjoy it? :P
so you were the center of attention and all eh! nice nice :P
do try singing the song "lift me up before you go go".. that normally gets the lift started i've heard :P
ok bad jokes apart.. why were you crying?

Debasish Patra said...

oh... i thot ur post wud end with u doing somthing lik Miss.Lara Croft a.k.a Abhu ...ha ha

I guess 'u' post-Kerela have bcum more daring yaa, gr8 going.
Jus hope u nxt tym get struck wid some Imran-Khan-prototype ;)

Anonymous said...

lolzzzz.....u gott stuck in a lift?? gawd!! plzz dnt dream more of ny such experiences:o ...abhudee wht all u up2 dre haaann??:P

Tejal said...

Reaction 1- *Panics* she got stuck in a lift?? omg!! :0

Reaction 2-*calms a lil* hmm she has written a post bout it means she's still alive.. hmm gud.. so who was she stuck with? :P

Reaction 3-*finally reads the whole post* hahahahahah u got stuck in the lift hahahahah

btw, those freshies X( aargh giv them a guuud slap from my side will ya? hmph.Think they r too smart eh?? why in the world shud u start cryin i cant understand?! *vunnn tight slap to smart-ass freshies*

btw, @debashish- Omg pls dont get her started on imran khan again? please? :S :S :S she wont stop !!! ;)

Punvati said...

Please don't cry? Hahahahahaha! Funny junis u have :D
ohh and i so totally relate to the part abt ur mom... if i had told my mom i was amused by the whole thing, whe wud lose sleep over what all i get upto in college without any heed for care yadi yada :P

Abhu said...

@suk- i think its u whoz hell bent on pulling MY leg :I

and duh!!! i was not crying!!!:P

Abhu said...

@debasish- :I nope... it has definitely nothn to do with lara kroft.

abd WHY on earth do u think i have becum more daring POST kerela trip?? i think i have always been like this :P

Imran khan...*sigh*. i guess iam over him for the time being. ;)

Abhu said...

@ tina- lol! chill... calm down.. it wasnt such a big deal. i had fun!! :D

Abhu said...

@tejal- :D yeah... well... i have already told u bout the freshies here :P

and puhleeezzz!!! iam over imran khan okay!!

Abhu said...

@divya- hehehe!! u bet!! this tym the freshies are total antique pieces :P

lol! i guess all moms r the same :P

Jayant said...

Congratulations!!!
finally you've ACHIEVED your goals..
:P
You sounded as happy as a person who checks his account and finds more moeny than expected there..

i'll ask a few freshees abt "the lift girl" and if they dont know u,I'll make sure I add to ur popularity :)